Step aside, silver. Black fridges are some of the most popular appliances in modern kitchens this year, and they’re showing no signs of going anywhere soon.
A black fridge is so much more than just an appliance, it’s the highlight of the kitchen. And beyond its seriously good looks, it’s increasingly favoured over silver stainless steel because it’s SO GREAT at hiding finger marks and smudges. If you have kids under your roof, that’s a mighty big win.
But there’s also the simple fact that black is a stunning neutral that plays nicely with almost any interior style and colour scheme. So, whether you’re furnishing a spacious Hamptons-style kitchen or a sleek inner-city apartment, a black fridge is destined to steal the show.
Why Choose A Black Fridge?
- Appearance. As a colour, black is brave, dramatic and luxurious – and on a large appliance like a fridge, it’s going to elevate any kitchen. Paired with a built-in black wine fridge, it makes one impressive cooling zone!
- It looks cleaner! If the sticky smudges of little hands have you constantly wiping down your silver fridge, black will change your life. Of course, the smudges will still be there, but a lot less noticeable!
- It coordinates with most colour schemes and interior styles. Whether you’ve got a monochrome theme or green kitchen tiles, black is a safe neutral that works with every shade.
- It breaks up an all-white kitchen. The classic white kitchen is still a go-to style for many Aussie renovators, but too much white can have a clinical feel to it. Going bold with a black fridge and other dark elements like a black sink or cabinet hardware helps bring the room together and make it inviting.
- Timelessness. Some appliance trends come and go, but we think back fridges are here to stay for the simple fact that they look fabulous in virtually any home.
11 Of The Best Black Fridges For Modern Kitchens
Whether you’re after a black french door fridge or a smart fridge, we’ve got your perfect cooler in this lineup of Australia’s favourite black steel refrigerators.
Our top pick when it comes to smart fridges, this black Samsung Family Hub Side-by-Side fridge will undoubtedly become the centre of the home. Not only does it come with the cooling technology a busy family needs, but its large screen allows you to watch TV, write reminders on the Family Board, check the weather and even peek inside the fridge without opening it! It even connects with Samsung Food for easier meal plans and fast shopping lists. Now that’s clever.
- In-door water and ice dispenser
- Recessed handles for a clean finish
- SpaceMax technology allows for thinner walls and more storage space
- Family Hub for watching TV, accessing apps, listening to music and more!
Made in Italy to the highest standards, this glossy frost-free top mount is going to be the star of the room. In true smeg style, it boasts thick rounded edges for a vintage feel but comes with all the modern conveniences expected of a quality refrigerator. There are adjustable glass shelves, a door alarm, a vegetable crisper and a manual ice tray included.
- Fully adjustable shelving
- Contrasting chrome handles
- Audible and visible door alarm
- Frost-free, double cooling system
A fabulous size for big households, this LG refrigerator features a fingerprint-resistant matte-black finish that will be right at home in contemporary kitchens. The internal configuration and retractable shelves make it easy to make room for taller items (like champagne!) and the surrounding cooling keeps food fresh for longer. But our favourite feature is the handy ice and water station that keeps the whole family hydrated without having to open the door.
- Retractable shelving for tall items
- In-door ice and water station (crushed or cubed ice)
- LG Smart ThinQ for remote adjustments from your phone
- ‘Extra-Space Compartment’ brilliant for small deli items
If it’s versatility you need in a family fridge, look no further. This black top-mount features a freezer that converts to a fridge when you need more space – fantastic for food-filled occasions like Christmas. The ice maker is also removable for extra space up top when you need it. Twin Cooling Plus keeps everything beautifully fresh and the recessed handles give it a sleek, clean finish.
- Recessed door handles
- Removable ice maker for extra space
- The top freezer converts to a fridge when needed
- Twin Cooling Plus system for more freshness and less waste
Spacious and clever, this black fridge from Fisher & Paykel uses ActiveSmart technology to adjust to the humidity and temperature of your home. This means you’re only using the energy you need to. The flat doors and recessed handles give it a streamlined look and the ice maker keeps your freezer stocked up right throughout the warm months.
- Ice maker
- Flat doors and recessed handles
- Slimline in-door water dispenser (great for filling bottles)
- ActiveSmart Foodcare adjusts to room humidity and temperature
This smart bottom-mount fridge from LG comes in a choice of five shades, including matte-black and black steel. It’s a fantastic size for almost any type of kitchen and has a Door Cooling system with strategically placed vents to keep items in the door at the perfect temperature. Need to change which side the hinge is on? No problem, this one has a reversible door.
- LED temperature display
- Choice of matte black or black steel
- Reversible door (must be done by LG)
- Ceiling vents for keeping the door items cool
With SpillSafe shelves and a quick freezing function, this black Westinghouse fridge is fit for family life. It provides a huge amount of spacer with its two full-length compartments for both fridge and freezer. And of course, there’s a handy water dispenser right on the door to save you having to open it.
- Cool, LED lighting throughout
- FreshSeal crispers with advanced seals
- SpillSafe shelves keep mess to a minimum
- Quick-freeze function (for faster homemade ice cream!)
It’s a Good Design Award winner – and it’s not hard to see why. The standout feature of this Samsung fridge is the drinks station tucked inside a door-in-door design. Open out the front panel to access the autofill water jug or open the entire door to access the internal cavity. But the wow doesn’t end there, this clever cooler also comes with an antimicrobial coating for maximum hygiene every single day.
- Autofill water jug
- Automatic ice maker
- Premium flat door design
- Door-in-door drinks station
Built to the ideal proportions for most kitchens, this black Haier bottom-mount fridge delivers loads of functionality and sleek good looks. The standout feature is undoubtedly the MyZone drawer, which allows you to select a specific temperature for food in that zone. This fridge is also brilliant if you’re after a water dispenser that doesn’t need plumbing.
- External control panel
- Non-plumbed water dispenser
- MyZone drawer for customised chilling
- Super Freeze mode for fast freezing when needed
After a bar fridge with room for everything? This is it! From Hisense, this well-priced black standalone fridge has a large door balcony, a fruit and veggie crisper, three adjustable shelves and a freezer box. The curved door gives it a modern look and the LED lights make everything easy to find. Whether it’s for your pool house, rumpus room or butler’s pantry, this one fits right in.
- Ample door storage
- Separate freezer box
- Bright LED internal lights
- Larger than a regular bar fridge
A compact little performer, the black Devanti bar fridge gives you that extra space you need for chilling drinks and food when entertaining. It has a built-in handle for a sleek finish and comes with a separate chiller compartment for those items that need to be extra cold. The door is reversible and the feet are height adjustable.
- Reversible door
- Height-adjustable feet
- Six temperature levels to suit a range of drinks and food
- Small, separate chiller compartment
We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post, please see our Terms & Conditions.
After more inspo for your kitchen? Take a peek at our favourite farmhouse sinks (and yes, there are black ones!)