If there’s one thing most households can never have enough of it’s surfaces, but not every home has the space for lots of furniture. Enter nesting side tables: the genius solution to extra surfaces without unnecessary clutter!
Nesting side tables are the furniture version of Babushka dolls. They include a large table for everyday use and a smaller table nested partially or fully underneath, ready to be pulled out when you need extra surfaces. Aside from adapting to your needs in a flash (like when unexpected guests drop by!), nesting tables also deliver big style points by bringing visual interest and a modern touch to rooms.
For a baby-safe and uncluttered living room, many homes choose not to use a coffee table. And in this instance, a nest of side tables is especially useful because on those occasions when you do need an extra table, it’s right there waiting, like the versatile helper it is.
Table of contents
- 11 Nesting Side Tables For All Kinds Of Homes
- Meza Nested Tables With Rattan Tops, $245
- Johansen Nest of Wooden Side Tables, $299
- Salvador White Nesting Table Set, $379.99
- Max Nest Of Tables, $499
- Siena Nest of Tables, $899
- Kortina Nest Of Tables, $529
- Leska Nest Of Tables, $539
- Zuleika Solid Acacia Nesting Tables, $459
- Vigo Nesting Side Tables, $99.99
- Mango Wood Mandala Side Tables, $586.75
- Woven Nesting Tables, $1299
11 Nesting Side Tables For All Kinds Of Homes
Highly versatile and aesthetically pleasing, nesting tables are the answer to extra surfaces when you need them. And whether you’re after something rustic and wooden, or super sophisticated, you’ve got a good chance of finding that perfect piece in this shortlist.
How did we choose? We choose products for our shopping guides based on functionality, aesthetics, applicable reviews and industry knowledge of current trends. We bring years of renovation and styling experience to our content to show you some of our favourite products for Australian homes. Head over to our socials to check out our current reno!
In a style that includes partial nesting, the Meza brings all the coastal vibes to living rooms or bedrooms. The beautiful round tops help to soften spaces and the neutral colour palette will pair perfectly with absolutely anything – from your green vase to your colourful coffee table books. This set uses engineered wood with oak veneer and it features a woven rattan top – a favourite material for casual modern living.
- Practical sizes at 50cm and 40cm
- The stunning rattan adds texture to rooms
- Tapered legs and round tops help soften spaces
We’re head over heels for this combination of a kidney-shaped larger table with a smaller round table – all those curves work in perfect harmony. With a distinctly Scandi style, this set is just as great in kids’ rooms as it is next to your sofa. It’s crafted from both solid oak and oak veneer and requires only minimal assembly for the legs.
- Fab neutral colour that goes with everything
- The kidney-shaped piece makes a great kiddie table
- Incorporates solid oak for durability and longevity
Available with your choice of white or black frames, the Salvador offers compact nesting and loads of modern style. The set includes 50cm and 40cm tables, both super versatile, hard-wearing and adaptable to your living needs. The legs use powder-coated metal and the table tops use solid timber and veneer for easy maintenance. How great does this white set look nestled among the rust hues pictured in the room above? Perfect!
- Feature half-moon legs on the larger table
- Versatile style with a choice of white or black legs
- Natural-look table tops add earthy charm to rooms
With a practical and versatile design, it’s little wonder the Max is one of Freedom’s most-loved products. With not two, but three minimalist Scandi-style tables included, you get extra functionality without skimping on style. It uses a mixture of engineered and solid timbers and includes tables of 50cm, 35cm and 30cm. Check out the images on the product page to see how happy customers have set theirs up in clusters and individually.
- Practical sizes for bedside tables
- Clean Scandi-design, perfect for modern living
- Cluster them in a group or position them in a line
If you’re on the hunt for nesting tables as sophisticated as they are functional, the Siena hits the mark. Combining luxe gold-plated metal with Indian Banswara marble, it brings instant opulence to spaces, whether nested or positioned separately. Among loads of positive reviews, customers point out that the weight of these tables is especially fabulous because it’s harder to knock them over (great if there are pets or kids at home!). The large table measures 50cm and the smaller one 40cm.
- An opulent style that immediately catches the eye
- Uses Indian Bansware marble with unique veining
- Heavier than other styles and harder to knock over
With a thick mango wood top and robust black metal legs, the Kortina makes a striking addition to empty nooks and corners. Fully nestable, it’s a savvy space-saver with geometric legs that play beautifully with modern Industrial and Scandi interiors. The large table measures 60cm in length and the smaller table measures 55cm. This set is also available with white legs.
- Thick mango wood tabletop
- Striking geometric metal legs
- Full nesting ability – great for small spaces
One of our favourites in the shortlist, the Leska is visually striking and destined to be the star of the room. Not only is it fully nestable for saving space, but it boasts a super-tough curved base of individually welded rods. The use of classic curves makes it just as suitable for Industrial interiors as Classic Modern like the room pictured above. The large table is 50cm and the small one is 35cm in diameter.
- Brings loads of visual texture to any room
- The gorgeous curved base uses black metal rods
- Hard-wearing mango wood tops built to last
A fabulous choice for Coastal or Hampton-style homes, this all-natural set of nesting tables uses sustainably sourced acacia with 100% unique tones and grains in every piece. The natural colour is great for interior styling and the beautiful clean lines bring balance to the space. We’d love to pair this design with an oversized, ow-profile sofa in a beachy setting – bliss!
- Uses sustainably sourced acacia with unique grains
- Clean lines create visual harmony and balance in rooms
- Fully nestable for saving space when you only need to use one
Our top pick when it comes to budget nesting side tables, the Vigo is available with either black or white legs. Together the tables create a lovely tiered look that’s brilliant for showing off favourite candle holders and books, or accommodating extra mugs when friends pop in. The wood grain finish contrasts well with the thick metal legs and the dimensions (45cm and 32cm) are practical for modern Australian homes.
- Fully nestable for saving space
- Comes with tough powder-coated steel legs
- Choose from white or black legs depending on your interior style
These mango wood nesting tables feature hand-carved mandalas, meaning every single table is 100% unique. The sustainably sourced wood boasts a distressed finish and the slim metal legs keep the overall aesthetic uncluttered and tasteful. This set is fully nestable and easy to style thanks to its neutral colour palette. For a touch of rustic goodness in any type of home, this set gets the two thumbs up from us.
- Fully nestable for saving space
- Clutter-free and lightweight design
- Featured individually carved mandalas by Indian artisans
Woven textures like these can do no wrong in Coastal and Hamptons-style interiors – and this set is one of our favourites! In addition to engineered wood, it uses handwoven banana bark, adored in furniture for its rich combination of high and low tones and visual texture. The tables are fully nestable – and each one takes over a day to make! The large table measures 57cm and the smaller one 47cm. Pro tip: use a butler’s tray if you want to be able to put glasses and mugs on these – it protects the materials and gives you a more stable surface.
- Slimline and fully nestable
- Uses handwoven banana bark with gorgeous colour tones
- Larger-than-normal sizes, great for storing coffee table books
The purpose of a table is to provide you with additional surface space, without the clutter of extra furniture. With a smaller table nested under a larger one, you have a compact solution for when you need more room for mugs, books and remotes.
Nesting tables are often used in living rooms as coffee tables or next to sofas as side tables. They’re also commonly used in bedrooms as bedside tables.
In Australia, a nest of tables is either called a ‘nesting table’ ‘nest table’ or sometimes a ‘stacking table’ due to the fact that they stack together so compactly.
Top image: Salvador Black Nest Table Set via Adairs.
We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post, please see our Terms & Conditions.
After some fab decor ideas for your living room? Check out our favourite floor cushions for casual lounging.