Having an extendable outdoor table on hand not only prepares you for unexpected guests but also gives you a great excuse to gather the wider family for alfresco dining more often. Because what could be better than that?
An extendable outdoor table dining table is a clever piece of furniture that separates in the middle to reveal a hidden panel. Once the hidden panel is slotted securely into place, you’ve got a lovely smooth tabletop and more space for extra guests. Better still, most outdoor tables use hardwearing and weatherproof materials. So, they’re not just adaptable to your group size, but they last and last – and last!
Whether you’re planning on gathering friends around the outdoor fireplace or the swimming pool, we’ve scouted out the very best dining tables for flexible outdoor fun. But first, here are some great reasons why you need to add one to your alfresco game.
Is an extendable table worth it for outside?
Yes, an extendable table is definitely worth including in your outdoor entertainment area for a number of reasons:
- Versatility – They grow and shrink to suit your guest list, which is super convenient
- Durability – The materials used resist moisture and insects, year-round
- They’re welcoming! Outdoor tables make your entertaining area feel more livable and inviting
- Smart use of space – By shrinking back down to a more compact size after use, they’re fabulous space-savers
- They’re easy to care for – Most are super low-maintenance, which means you can spend more time planning your next gathering!
11 Favourite Extendable Outdoor Tables
Whether you’re after a compact table for poolside snacks or a rustic beauty to add to your brand-new deck, we’ve got your next family gathering sorted with this handy list of favourites.
With the ability to extend from 110cm to 160cm, this clever dining table seats up to six people comfortably. It uses sold teak wood, making it naturally resistant to moisture and pesky insects. This one is finished in a glorious warm colour that looks beautiful in any backyard, terrace or patio. Size: 110cm – 160cm.
- Resists moisture and pests
- Comes with an umbrella hole
- Uses solid teak wood for longevity and rustic style
A perfect partner for Hamptons-style exteriors, the white Akira extension table is crafted from aluminium and slatted Polywood (a type of sustainable plastic). It comes powder-coated for even more protection against the Australian elements and it’s available in charcoal or white finishes. Choose from three sizes: 154cm – 220cm / 205cm – 300cm / 240cm – 335cm.
- Fresh white finish for modern homes
- Timber-look table top adds a pop of texture
- Uses tough aluminium and sustainable polywood
Using traditional joinery techniques and natural teak wood, the Schots Mini Landsort table oozes rustic elegance. The brass elements are completely rustproof and the natural wood is water-resistant and low-maintenance – which means more time for entertaining! Size: 110cm – 150cm.
- Arrives fully assembled
- Gorgeous rustic aesthetic
- Uses 100% natural and hardwearing teak timber
Available in cool gunmetal black or white, the Monarch outdoor extension table is exclusive to Domayne and built tough from aluminium to see you through decades of great times. We love that it’s lightweight and easy to move from the backyard to the terrace when needed. Size: 220cm – 340cm.
- Adjustable feet for all surfaces
- Uses tough aluminium to go the distance
- Comes in charcoal or white to suit any kind of theme
Bold and beautiful, the Hartman Lyon Extendable Outdoor Table uses tough eucalyptus wood and black steel for longevity and loads of good looks. Matching chairs and a bar cart are available separately for a complete set that will wow your guests! Size: 180cm – 240cm.
- Easy assembly
- Uses durable eucalyptus wood and steel
- Matching chairs and bar cart available separately for a complete set!
Schots can do no wrong when it comes to premium furniture, and the Florence Extendable Table for the outdoors is no exception. It’s lovingly crafted by moisture-resistant teak and boasts stunning ‘twin stretcher’ beams that connect and support the legs. Major swoon! Size: 180cm – 240cm.
- Arrives fully assembled
- Moisture-resistant materials
- Stunning natural teak wood for a classic aesthetic
From Olan Living, the Verona brings immediate style to any outdoor dining area. It has a powder-coated aluminium frame and a ceramic top for that extra touch of luxury. And if you need space for the whole family, this one ticks the box, with an overall length that reaches 300cm when extended. But our favourite feature is undoubtedly the angled legs. Choose from white or black.
- Extends to 300cm
- Luxurious ceramic top
- Feature geometric legs
From a family-run Australian business that values using sustainable materials, the Woodbury Kai table is a modern classic. Using the latest technology, it combines an aluminium frame with a teak wood top. But the true genius of this stunner lies in its clever one-handed extension function. Size: 180cm – 240cm / 280cm – 340cm.
- Also available in white
- Aluminium and teak wood
- Unique one-handed extension
Reaching a maximum length of 3.4m, this table is very ready for big summer gatherings. It uses a combination of powder-coated aluminium and raw wood timber for a smart aesthetic that gets better with time. Unlike some other tables that use the same materials, the Bora features U-shaped legs for a more contemporary finish that looks superb on sunny terraces.
- Large extended length of 3.4m
- Boasts U-shaped aluminium legs
- The raw teak wood can be treated or left to age naturally
From Sunlong, this outdoor dining package gives you maximum convenience and style from the absolute get-go. For starters, it assembles fast and comes with eight matching chairs, but what we love the most about it is the handy pop-up extension mechanism for adapting to extra guests in just seconds. The aluminium frame is rust-proof and tough enough to handle whatever the day throws at it, and there are weather-resistant cushions included for good measure.
- Stylish rust-proof aluminium frame
- Features a pop-up extension mechanism
- Complete set with matching chairs and cushions
Unlike a lot of extension tables that separate in the middle, the Zaltana extends at one end, giving you a lovely uninterrupted table through the middle section. Even better, the handy extension mechanism is designed so that the legs are always positioned at the outer corners of the table, avoiding any awkward seating. It’s suitable for enjoying inside or outside and it uses 100% powder-coated aluminium. Prefer a darker hue? It’s also available in black.
- Available in black or white
- Sleek design, perfect for modern Australian homes
- Legs remain at the outer corners even when fully extended
Some tables are delivered fully assembled, others require some basic assembly – usually just the legs. So don’t worry, it’s not likely you will have to assemble the entire table!
Teak is super hardwearing and doesn’t need a lot of care to stay looking ship-shape. A teak sealer can be applied once or twice a year to help preserve your table’s good looks. Also, it’s best to cover your table during winter if it’s not in use.
Top image: Olan Living Verona Table in White
We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post, please see our Terms & Conditions.
After more products for outdoor living? Check out our favourite outdoor bean bags!