For a casually elegant bedroom with heaps of character and a good dose of beach vibes, it’s hard to go past a rattan bedhead.
A rattan bedhead is a dynamic piece of furniture that brings flair and versatility to bedrooms. You can pair it with linen bedding for Hamptons styling, or go bold with colour for a fun room that makes you smile. Whatever your design goals, this hardwearing natural fibre is ready to adapt to the interior style of your dreams.
And let’s not forget that rattan is also sustainable and biodegradable, making it a smart choice for the environment as well as your bedroom aesthetic. Don’t you just love earth-friendly furniture?
Table of contents
- Why choose a rattan bedhead?
- 16 Best Rattan Bedheads In Australia For 2024
- Duke Living Layla Rattan Bedhead, from $249
- Linen House Palmvale Rattan Headboard, from $599.99
- Adairs Bahama Half Moon Bedhead, from $399.99
- Kulta Home Elov Queen Wicker Bedhead, $619
- Adairs Bellarine Honey Rattan Bedhead, from $299.99
- Lombok Rattan Double Bedhead, $199
- Classic Rattan Bedhead, from $1599
- Hudson Malia Queen Rattan Headboard, $789
- Curvy Rattan Bedhead, $1599
- Duke Living Black Rattan Bedhead, from $229
- Petal Rattan Bedhead, from $440
- Millesime Lapalisse Queen Bedhead, $979
- Sunrise Queen Rattan Bedhead, $649
- Palm Beach Queen Rattan Headboard, $979
- Cuba Headboard, from $729
- Peggy Natural Bedhead, from $495
- How do you style a rattan bedhead?
Why choose a rattan bedhead?
- Durability – We know a bedhead isn’t something you want to change regularly. But thankfully, rattan is an ultra-tough fibrous material that stands up to almost anything you throw it and last for years.
- It’s environmentally sound – If you’re conscious of your carbon footprint, a rattan headboard is a fantastic choice because the material is fast-growing, highly sustainable and doesn’t require chopping down entire trees. In its natural form, rattan is also biodegradable, so it’s a massive win for the planet as well as your interior styling.
- Versatility – Especially in a natural tone or white, a rattan bedhead pairs beautifully with almost any colour and most interior styles.
- Warmth factor – A bedroom should always feel inviting and a rattan bedhead brings warmth and cosiness while still looking every bit the designer piece.
- Beauty – Elegant with a sprinkle of rustic goodness, rattan looks beautiful in many homes, from boho beach houses to French provincial living.
16 Best Rattan Bedheads In Australia For 2024
Ready to recharge in style? We’ve done the searching for you and put together a shortlist of our favourite bedheads crafted from natural rattan.
Positively packed with texture, this fabulous freestanding rattan headboard by Duke Living arrives fully assembled and ready to use. It has a slim 3cm width for a neat fit against the wall and it comes in a choice of Double, Queen or King sizes. We’re loving this one paired with crisp white bedding for an elegant coastal look.
Arriving fully assembled, the Palmvale bedhead by Linen House transforms regular bedrooms into sophisticated tropical bungalows in mere minutes. It’s handwoven by Indonesian artisans using natural rattan that works beautifully with any linen.
Lightweight and classically gorgeous, this freestanding headboard by Home Republic sits flat against the wall with no brackets required. In both Queen and King sizes, it comes fully assembled and looks breathtaking with off-white bedding. Choose from walnut (pictured) or a lighter honey hue (pictured at the top of the article).
With a symmetrical frame and lots of gorgeous open weave rattan, this is a stylish addition to adny bedroom. It comes fully assembled in Queen size and feature a polished hardwood teak frame to see uou through years of use. Pair it with some luxe white linen for a Scandi look you’ll never tire of.
In case you haven’t heard, curves are a big thing in interior design these days – and this bedhead has plenty of them! Crafted from 100% natural rattan in a dreamy honey hue, this gem brings instant coastal vibes to all kinds of bedrooms. Simply position against the wall and ensure the bed is right up against it to hold it in place.
Epertly handmade from beautiful natrual rattan, this feature-packed bedhead is definitely going to be the star of the room. In a double size, it makes a lovely guest bed or an unforgettable first bed for tweens or younger teenagers. And best of all, the light colour tone works well with a wide range of coloured linen, from pastels and patterns to crisp white.
Offering the best of both worlds, this classic rattan bedhead involves curves and symetrical lines. It features a 100% mango wood frame and woven rattan inner to achieve the sort of casual sophistication we all want in in the boudoir. It comes in a choice of Queen or King and it’s completely freestanding, which means no assembly required!
If you’re after a bedhead that combines rattan with hardwood, this is a must-see. Using sustainably harvested timber on the frame and handwoven rattan on the inner section, this is a timeless headboard that looks high-end. Texture-rich and eco-friendly, it’s available in a Queen size and required no assembly.
Available in Queen and King sizes, this curvy bedhead is ticking every single box! For starters, the curves are gentle and elegant, but there’s also a gorgeous sense of symmetry owing to the lovely hardwood sides. It’s completely freestanding but can be wall-mounted with brackets if you prefer (brackets sold separately).
If it’s a black rattan bedhead you’re after, we’ve found a beauty. Classic, eye-catching and massively verstaile when it comes to bed linen, it uses 100% natural rattan in black and comes in a choice of Doble or Queen sizes. This is a freestanding bedhed, so you won’t be reaching to any tools with this one.
Fancy a stroll through the garden? Pretty as a picture, the Petal bedhead by Koko Collective is a true celebration of nature in its choice of design and materials. We’re especially loving this beauty partnered with floral bedding for a child’s special room.
A one-of-a-kind work of art, the Lapalisse headboard combines hardwearing mahogany and rattan with a time-honoured joinery technique for extra durability. It’s available in a choice of white, natural and black to suit almost any colour scheme you’ve got going on.
With a tough mahogany frame and textured rattan panels, the Sunrise headboard by Abide Interiors doesn’t just look exquisite, but it also stands up to decades of use. It’s made in Indonesia and comes in both Queen and King sizes.
Designed after the ever-elegant peacock, the Palm Beach bed is a modern take on a classic design. In a Queen size, it features a unique curved frame that not only encases the bed but invites you into the room with open arms. Just beautiful.
Handmade from pure rattan, the Cuba freestanding headboard definitely makes a statement. It is available in a choice of King or Queen sizes and features stunning curves and sweeps, much like the waves you can almost hear from your bungalow.
Oozing beach vibes, the Peggy brings tropical elegance and glorious tones to your bedroom. It comes in a choice of King or Queen sizes and it’s naturally handcrafted to remain exquisite for years.
How do you style a rattan bedhead?
Styling a rattan bedhead is actually very easy due to its versatile look. As a beautiful material that’s often celebrated in its natural colour, rattan is actually really easy to dress up or down for the look and feel you’re after. Here are some ideas for styling your wicker headboard:
- Bring fresh whites and neutral tones to the room, from white sheers to bedroom rugs in light hues.
- Try bringing more rattan into the equation for extra bohemian vibes, perhaps in a stylish laundry basket or with a classic papasan chair placed in the corner of the room.
- Add a splash of colour to the neutral palette with statement wallpaper, floor pillows and wall art.
- Use featured pendant lighting on either side of the headboard to elevate the space.
Yes, rattan bedheads are a very good option for various styles of bedrooms. Cast your eye through any designer bedroom furniture collection and you’re very likely to see a rattan number in there, and the reason is simple: it looks gorgeous in the home and it lasts and lasts. And the fact that it delivers lots of boho beach vibes definitely helps with its popularity.
Hamptons-style bedside tables are our top picks for pairing with a rattan bedhead – especially in white! The combination of white with the natural browns of rattan is fresh, beachy and elegant at the same time. Another option is go with matching rattan bedside tables, but be careful about overdoing the wicker factor in the room or it loses its appeal.
Rattan bedheads are very strong. Despite appearing fragile due to the woven design, rattan is a super resilient natural material that will see you through decades of great use. Just be sure you attach the headboard securely to your bed or position it correctly against the wall as described by the manufacturer. This will avoid any unnecessary pressure on certain points.
Top image: Curvy Bedhead by Bed Threads
We may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post, please see our Terms & Conditions.
After more furniture for bedrooms? Take a peek at our handy shortlists of king single trundle beds for growing kids.